Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an elegant dish. The first time I made them, my husband thought I picked them up from a restaurant. Was he ever surprised! This would make a nice romantic dinner with candlelight! The recipe seems long but it includes a recipe for the filling, the Mornay Sauce, and crepes themselves.
Shrimp and Crab Mixture
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups cooked shrimp (I use imitation crab and scallops) or 2 cups cooked crab (I use imitation crab and scallops) or 2 cups cooked scallops (I use imitation crab and scallops)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons grated swiss cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with the half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Make crepes---------.
- Combine all ingredients (except for cooking oil) for crepes in a bowl and blend with a whisk until smooth.
- Cover batter and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat cooking oil in pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of batter and cook until lightly browned on bottom side (about 1 1/2 minutes).
- Turn and cook other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place crepes between pieces of waxed paper to keep from sticking together.
- Set aside.
- Prepare crepe mixture and Mornay Sauce Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For Mornay sauce-----------.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and blend in Flour.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Add cheese and blend well.
- Add egg yolk mixture and blend well.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- For Crepe mixture----------.
- Butter a large shallow baking dish.
- In a skillet melt 4 tablespoons of butter and sauté onions and mushrooms until tender.
- Stir in seafood.
- Add 3/4 cup of Mornay Sauce, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Stir together until heated through.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of mixture into middle of crepe and roll up.
- Place seam side down in buttered baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining crepes.
- Top with remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until sauce is warm and bubbly.
This recipe is to die for... rich and elegant, completely worth the effort. I served this with stuffed artichokes and spinach salad with carmelized pecans. I substituted portabello mushrooms, added dill to the crepe batter, and added an extra cup of crab. I'm sure its fantastic either way. Thank you so much!
Absoulty fantastic, was a great hit and no one could get enough of them and everyone wanted the recipe. I have had these in several resturants that were not as great as these were. Ms. Taylor reid