Recipe by Manami
These look so delicious! Am posting here for later use, A Giada De Laurentiis creation.
Top Review by Chef Bexter
Like a lot of you, manicotti is one of my faves from my youth. I have a recipe that I have always used, but decided to try this one from Giada. However, I made slight adjustments. I only use the Bechamel sauce on the bottom of the dish (2 Tb butter, 4 tsp flour, 1 1/4 C 1% milk w/ 1 tsp flour whisked in, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, pinch of nutmeg = follow the rest of the directions, only simmer for only 5 mins... you can tell when it thickens.) I also used 15 oz of low-fat ricotta, 2 egg yolks, 1/4 C fresh basil and 1/2 lb of crabmeat. I topped the manicotti with 1 big jar of Prego Ricotta/Parmesan pasta sauce. Bake for 1 hour and then add a mixture of parmesan & romano cheese to the top and bake for another 15 mins. These changes make the recipe much healthier and more traditional. Enjoy! =)
- 1 (8 ounce) boxcannelloni pasta shells (about 12 shells) or 1 (8 ounce) box manicotti (about 12 shells)
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (for sprinkling)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (we'll use parsley, personal choice) or 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley (we'll use parsley, personal choice)
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- bechamel sauce
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter or 5 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain pasta.
- In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, 3/4 cup Parmesan, egg yolk, basil or parsley, crab, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Fill the cannelloni with the crab mixture and place in buttered baking dish.
- MAKE THE BECHAMEL SAUCE:.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly(if not it will be all lumpy)until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes(DO NOT allow the sauce to boil).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cool and then cover and refrigerate).
- Top the filled cannelloni with the Bechamel Sauce and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.