1/2 Photos of Crab and Pork Spring Rolls
2 hrs 30 mins
tornadoes three's Note:
A tasty appetizer for any time. Also found in Gourmet magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces ground fatty pork (from shoulder)
- 1/4 lb large lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (whole egg)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, Rounded
- 30 pieces rice paper, wedges
- 6 cups oil (vegetable or peanut)
- 1Mix together pork, crabmeat, beaten whole egg, cilantro, ginger, scallion, garlic, and salt in a bowl until combined well.
- 2Line a tray with wax paper.
- 3Put a double thickness of paper towels on a work surface and fill a shallow baking pan with warm water.
- 4Discard any rice-paper wedges with holes. Soak 1 wedge in warm water until pliable, 30 seconds to 1 minute, then carefully transfer to paper towels, arranging it with curved side of wedge nearest you.
- 5Put 1 tablespoon filling in middle of curved side about 1/2 inch from edge and shape filling horizontally into a 2 3/4-inch log. Fold left and right corners of wedge over filling, overlapping slightly and aligning bottom edges. (Wedge will resemble an open envelope.).
- 6Dab top corner with some yolk, then tightly roll up wedge away from you, making sure ends stay tucked inside. (Be sure to roll up wedges tightly or air pockets will prevent rolls from browning evenly when fried.) Put roll, seam side down, on tray and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Make more rolls in same manner, transferring to tray and arranging 1/2 inch apart. Keep loosely covered until ready to fry.
- 7Heat about 1 inch of oil in a 5- to 6-quart pot over moderately high heat until it registers 365°F on thermometer. Fry rolls in batches of 5 or 6, keeping rolls apart during first minute of frying to prevent sticking and stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer as fried with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab and Pork Spring Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1690 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.2
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 39.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: