Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe from, the clipping is in pretty bad condition, I think it was and old, old, old William Sonoma catalogue. I love it because is so easy and fast to make but it tastes like if you were slaving on the stove all day.
- 118.29 ml butter, divided
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 226.79 g mushrooms, chopped
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 4.92 ml hot sauce
- 709.77 ml half-and-half
- 453.59 g fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked
- 59.14 ml dry sherry
Lemon Blend (use 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 44.37 ml lemon rind, grated
- 29.58 ml kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 1.23 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- For the lemon blend:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small food processor or grinder. Process until finely and evenly chopped. Store on an airtight container.
- For the bisque:.
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients. Cook stirring until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in same saucepan over medium heat add flour stirring until smooth. Cook one minute.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Sherry, lemon blend, hot sauce and half and half.
- Reduce heat; stir in crab meat and cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add saved vegetables, stir well and serve immediately.
Wonderful soup! I used all FF half and half but only 4 oz. crab and the other 4 oz. shrimp. DH had 3 big bowls, so he loved it too.
A friend and I made this last night and it was delicious! We used a combination of Shitake and white mushrooms. Instead of the half-n-half, we used whole milk, and instead of a green bell pepper, we used a red. There's a tiny little bowl leftover and I'm sure it'll be gone today!
You got another PAC winner here, MsPia! I wanted to make a full recipe using 1/2 lb of crabmeat so I also used 1/2 lb Icelandic baby shrimp. The only other chg I made was to use all milk & I found it plenty rich & creamy w/o the half & half. The creaminess combined w/the textural veggie adds + seafood makes it almost more of a chowder for me. The Lemon Blend seasoning & hot sauce give it a kick that reminds me a bit of Cajun fare. This was a real winner for us in all ways ... delicious flavor, hearty & warming on a cool Icelandic nite. Thx for sharing this keeper w/us. :-)