I can't remember where I got this recipe from, the clipping is in pretty bad condition, I think it was and old, old, old William Sonoma catalogue. I love it because is so easy and fast to make but it tastes like if you were slaving on the stove all day.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
Lemon Blend (use 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- For the lemon blend:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small food processor or grinder. Process until finely and evenly chopped. Store on an airtight container.
- For the bisque:.
- Melt ¼ cup of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients. Cook stirring until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in same saucepan over medium heat add flour stirring until smooth. Cook one minute.
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Sherry, lemon blend, hot sauce and half and half.
- Reduce heat; stir in crab meat and cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add saved vegetables, stir well and serve immediately.
Wonderful soup! I used all FF half and half but only 4 oz. crab and the other 4 oz. shrimp. DH had 3 big bowls, so he loved it too.
A friend and I made this last night and it was delicious! We used a combination of Shitake and white mushrooms. Instead of the half-n-half, we used whole milk, and instead of a green bell pepper, we used a red. There's a tiny little bowl leftover and I'm sure it'll be gone today!
You got another PAC winner here, MsPia! I wanted to make a full recipe using 1/2 lb of crabmeat so I also used 1/2 lb Icelandic baby shrimp. The only other chg I made was to use all milk & I found it plenty rich & creamy w/o the half & half. The creaminess combined w/the textural veggie adds + seafood makes it almost more of a chowder for me. The Lemon Blend seasoning & hot sauce give it a kick that reminds me a bit of Cajun fare. This was a real winner for us in all ways ... delicious flavor, hearty & warming on a cool Icelandic nite. Thx for sharing this keeper w/us. :-)