PSU Lioness's Note:
My little sister had an Asian themed 14th birthday party and really wanted sushi. I had a nightmare of a time trying to roll it so I found a recipe to make pan sushi and changed the filling ingredients to make the sushi that I thought 14 year old girls would eat. It's very simple and saves a ton of money from what you would pay to buy a platter of sushi in stores. The hardest part is flipping the pan and you want to make sure you have a VERY sharp knife to cut through the vegetables in the sushi. I hope you like it as much as we did! (Serving amount is approximate. I didn't count the number of pieces but it was A LOT).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups white rice, cooked according to package directions (DO NOT use instant rice)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- salt, to taste (I didn't use any)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 sheets nori (seaweed sheets. I found them in the Asian food section of my grocery store)
- 1 (8 ounce) box neufchatel cheese, microwaved until almost liquid (or you can use regular cream cheese)
- 1 large cucumber, julienned (sliced into very thin strips)
- 2 lbs imitation crabmeat
- toasted sesame seeds (for topping)
- soy sauce (for serving)
- pickled ginger (for serving)
- wasabi (for serving)
- 1Cook rice according to package directions and while it is still hot, stir in rice vinegar, sugar and salt (if using) to make your sticky rice.
- 2Spray a 9x13 pan VERY WELL with non-stick cooking spray or line it with wax paper (I used cooking spray and it worked well). Try to use a pan that has straight edges on the bottom.
- 3When the rice is cool enough to handle, measure out 2 1/2 cups and press it evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- 4Layer 2 sheets of nori over the rice and press to make it stick. Cut the nori so it fits, if necessary.
- 5Spread the cream cheese evenly over the nori.
- 6Layer to julienned cucumber evenly over the cream cheese. You may need more than one cucumber to cover all the cream cheese.
- 7Chop the crab meat and sprinkle it over the cucumber.
- 8Top the crab meat with 2 more nori sheets and press lightly to compact everything.
- 9Take the remaining 2 1/2 cups of sticky rice and carefully spread it out over the nori.
- 10Cover with wax paper and press everything firmly into the pan. I actually used a brick to make sure the edges were pressed, too. A pancake turner would work as long as you really press with all your might.
- 11Keeping the wax paper over the top of the sushi, place a cutting board on top of the pan.
- 12Quickly but carefully flip the pan onto the cutting board. If the sushi sticks, tap lightly with a wooden spoon until it releases. If you lined the pan with wax paper, remove the paper now.
- 13Sprinkle rice with sesame seeds, to taste.
- 14Cut the sushi into squares with a very sharp knife. If it is still sticking, try wetting the knife in between cuts.
- 15Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab and Cream Cheese Pan Sushi (No Rolling!)
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.3
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 8.7 mg
- Sodium 211.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 3.8 g