Recipe by Morgan's Mom
My most requested appetizer to date. It's perfect for any get together, and especially on those game days! Serve with any kind of cracker that you like, but it's really yummy with pita chips... store bought or homemade.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (one "brick")
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans lump crabmeat, drained
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped roasted red pepper, from the jar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, combine cream cheese (make sure it is soft) and mayonnaise; mix well.
- Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT for the crab meat. Check seasonings. I will say that I add a bit more garlic powder, horseradish, black pepper, (and also add onion powder because we love that onion flavor) than the recipe calls for, but it's always best to start off mild, and you can adjust to suit your personal preference.
- After crab meat is drained, gently stir it into the mixture.
- Place in appropriate sized casserole dish.
- Bake 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle a little extra pepper jack OR parmesan cheese on top, followed by the paprika. Bake just until cheese melts or desired browness.
- Serve while hot.
- Choose the most expensive "canned" crab meat, as with this, you get what you pay for.