Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
From My Great Recipes of many years ago. The sauce makes this basic meatloaf deliciously different! I always double the recipe which gives me more than enough for an evening meal and lunches the following day.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 (5 1/3 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- parsley (to garnish)
THE CREOLE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 (2 ounce) cansliced mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- Mix all meatloaf ingredients together and place in a loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour, cool slightly.
- Make sauce by melting butter and sauteing the vegetables until tender. Add mushrooms with liquid and tomato juice. Remove from heat.
- Mix cornstarch, salt, thyme and water and add to onion mixture. Return pan to heat source and bring to a boil, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Spoon Creole Sauce over meatloaf slices and garnish with parsley.
- Good with mashed potatoes and a butter lettuce salad.
This is an excellent meatloaf recipe. I've never used evaporated milk in meatloaf before, but I am so impressed by how moist this turned out. I added some shredded parmesan to the bread crumbs, but otherwise followed the recipe. Oh except that I completely forgot to add the mushrooms to the sauce -- noticed them later staring at me accusingly. This will be my new go-to recipe for meatloaf. Thanks so much for posting.
I can not say enough about this meatloaf recipe, except,TRY IT!! Oh my goodness! My DH is a meatloaf lover,me,not so much. But this recipe, not only blew his meatloaf-loving socks off, it had me thinking,"Dang, I do like meatloaf!" Even by itself the meatloaf was awesome. Add the sauce, and oh my goodness, pure heaven on the taste buds!Thank you JulieB.! We will have this again, very soon DH is saying! Made with great satisfaction for Zaar World Tour.