Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Eat Better America.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups nonfat milk (skim)
- 1 cup fat-free liquid egg product or 8 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups raspberries or 2 cups blackberries or 2 cups blueberries or 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In medium nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 cup of the sugar over medium heat 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, until sugar is melted and a light caramel color (mixture will be very hot and could melt a plastic spoon).
- Immediately pour sugar mixture into 8-inch round cake pan; tilt pan to coat bottom. Place on wire rack to cool.
- In large bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the milk, egg product, salt and vanilla. Pour mixture over sugar mixture in pan. Place round pan in 13x9-inch pan.
- Pour very hot water into 13x9-inch pan to within 1/2 inch of top of round pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove round pan from pan of water. Cover; refrigerate about 3 hours or overnight or until thoroughly chilled.
- To unmold, run knife around edge of custard to loosen; invert onto serving platter.
- Top with fruit.