Recipe by Sage
I found this Crême Caramel Recipe in my book La Cuisine by Françoise Bernard and made a Cheater's version of Crême Brulée for those concerned with their cholesterol.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Ina small sauce pan, combine1/4 cup sugar with 2 Tblsp water. Place over medium high heat; bring to a simmer and cook stirring often until sugar dissolves.
- Partly cover pan and continue cooking until sugar turn medium amber. Immediately remove pan from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of water and return to medium low heat to melt the caramel.
- In a bowl whisk the cornstarch with the remaining sugar, the salt, the eggs and the milk. Pour into a medium saucepan, place over medium heat and cook stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the cream thickens.Add vanilla. When pudding barely simmers, remove the pan from heat.
- Stir the caramel into the pudding. If lumps form, use your whisk.
- Spoon into dessert dishes or ramekins.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold. I placed mine a cake dish and covered with foil making sure the pudding did not touch the cover.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Just prior to serving, sprinkle with white fine sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch.