Prep 8 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Soups are a relaxing, cozy, comforting meal. This is a favorite. Worth the effort 8)
- 1 cup lima beans, dried
- 1 rib eye steak
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 5 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- Soak beans overnight.
- Brown steak well; remove from soup pot. Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrots, tomatoes, broth and spices.
- Place steak back into soup mixture; simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook beans in separate pot for 1/2 hours. Drain and then add potatoes, beans and parsley to soup.
- Remove steak and cut into small pieces. Place back into soup and simmer another 45 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Great recipe, I used swiss steak in place of the rib eye. Thanks.