Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe originally hails from a 1977 cookbook called "Amish Cooking".
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- Mix the first six (6) ingredients together and pour the batter into the bottom of one 9"x13" pan or two round cake pans.
- Mix the rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar and boiling water together.
- Pour the rhubarb mixture over the batter and bake at 375° for 45-minutes or until done.
- Serve with heavy cream or ice cream.
Very simple to prepare and you get a very pretty self-saucing pudding. However 3 cups of sugar in a recipe is a lot and I found it way too sweet.The amount of sugar and water could be reduced [?half] in the rhubarb mix. A bit of cinnamon wouldn't go astray either. It barely fitted in a casserole dish. Having said that it didn't stop the two kids [age 3 and 6] polishing off quite a bit of this.
This was absolutely wonderful tasting rhubarb pudding cake. The longer you bake it the more cake-like it becomes. I used two 9" metal cake pans since I wanted to share one with the neighbors but otherwise I would use a 9" x 12" or 13" baking pan. No way will all this fit into one round cake pan. It's delicious!