Recipe by QueenQT26
This is from Women's Health Magazine (Jan/Feb 2007 issue). The title of the article this was included in was, "One-Pot Wonders." This sounds delish, can be modified to your liking, and can be made vegetarian by using a veggie broth/stock in place of the chicken and veggie-meat in place of the turkey, which is what I'll be doing. Healthy, filling, and yummy all around! P.S. the recipe editor thing is being weird and it keeps erasing the amount of garlic cloves...the amount is 2 cloves of garlic., not zero like the recipe ingredients indicate.
Top Review by Ellen E.
This was delish! Few modifications - left out the squash (hubby hates it) and instead added chopped carrots, celery and broccoli. Tossed it right in with the onions. Lots of garlic. Used left over turkey, just chunked it up. Canned mushrooms. Put a little Panko on top along with the cheese, gave it a great toasty flavor. Def will make it again. We ate almost the whole pan.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 5-6 cremini mushrooms or 5-6 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 118.29 ml acorn squash, sliced
- 453.59 g ground turkey or 453.59 g veggie crumbles
- 7.39 ml poultry seasoning or 7.39 ml dried sage
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 354.88 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 236.59 ml quinoa, rinsed
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 170.09 g reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a skillet, sauté onion in olive oil on medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, squash, and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add turkey (or veggie meat substitute), breaking into small pieces as it browns, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, stock, and quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat , cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer ingredients from pan into a 9-by-9 casserole dish or baking pan.
- Mix in parsley and 3 oz. cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining 3 oz. cheese on top of casserole.
- Bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes.