1/1 Photo of Cozy Quinoa Casserole 7points
This is from Women's Health Magazine (Jan/Feb 2007 issue). The title of the article this was included in was, "One-Pot Wonders." This sounds delish, can be modified to your liking, and can be made vegetarian by using a veggie broth/stock in place of the chicken and veggie-meat in place of the turkey, which is what I'll be doing. Healthy, filling, and yummy all around! P.S. the recipe editor thing is being weird and it keeps erasing the amount of garlic cloves...the amount is 2 cloves of garlic., not zero like the recipe ingredients indicate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 -6 cremini mushrooms or 5 -6 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup acorn squash, sliced
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb veggie crumbles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 6 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a skillet, sauté onion in olive oil on medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent.
- 3Add mushrooms, squash, and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Add turkey (or veggie meat substitute), breaking into small pieces as it browns, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Add poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, stock, and quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat , cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Transfer ingredients from pan into a 9-by-9 casserole dish or baking pan.
- 7Mix in parsley and 3 oz. cheese.
- 8Sprinkle remaining 3 oz. cheese on top of casserole.
- 9Bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cozy Quinoa Casserole 7points
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.9
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 58.1 mg
- Sodium 628.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 27.9 g