Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This family pleasing recipe is hearty and easy to make. Savory flavors of chicken, rice and spices meld in a creamy parmesan sauce. Yet it takes only minutes to prepare! This is my own, original recipe. Tested at high altitude.
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, 99% fat free
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder, divided
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (frozen OK)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh or thawed)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, freeze-dried or fresh snipped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1 cup chicken broth with 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, 1 Tbl. dried minced onion and 2 teaspoons onion powder in small saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Add 1/2 cup white rice.
- Cover, reduce heat and boil for 10-12 minutes (depending on altitude; 12 minutes at altitudes above 3500 feet).
- Meanwhile, in medium mixing bowl, combine frozen mixed vegetables with remaining chicken broth, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (note: I buy shredded parmesan in bulk and freeze it; OK to use frozen parmesan in this recipe), and remaining poultry seasonning and onion powder.
- When rice has finished parboiling, remove from heat and combine with vegetable mixture.
- Spread rice-vegetable mixture in shallow 2-quart casserole or 13x9x2 pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay chicken breasts atop rice mixture. Dust with salt (minimal, since condensed soup is so salty), pepper, additional onion powder and poultry seasoning.
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbl. shredded parmesan and 1 Tbl. snipped chives and return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Note: At altitudes below 3500 feet, you may need to reduce liquids and/or cooking time.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I made it exactly as written. It was easy to prepare and very tasty.