1 hr 25 mins
Only cooking for 1 or 2? No problem - these savoury pies will last very well (unbaked) in the freezer
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons powdered beef bouillon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 fluid ounces water
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 fluid ounces water, additional
The Pie Bases
The Pie Tops
- 1---To Make The Filling---.
- 2Place the meat into a pan, stir over low heat until it is well browned; drain off any surplus fat.
- 3Add crumbled stock cubes, 12 fluid ounces water, salt, pepper and nutmeg, stir until boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- 4Combine extra 2 fluid ounces water and flour, stir or whisk until the flour mixture is smooth.
- 5Add the flour mixture to the meat, stir until combined.
- 6Return to the heat, stir until the meat boils and thickens.
- 7Add soy sauce (to give brown colour), stir until combined.
- 8Simmer, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes, and then remove from the heat and allow to become cold.
- 9---To Make The Pie Bases---.
- 10Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- 11Place the water and drippings into a saucepan, stir until the drippings melt; remove from heat.
- 12Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the liquid, stir until combined.
- 13Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly.
- 14Roll out the pastry to line eight greased single-serving pie tins.
- 15Cut the excess pastry around the sides using a sharp knife.
- 16Fill the centres with the cold meat filing.
- 17---To Make The Pie Crusts---.
- 18Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, cut out rounds for the tops of pies, using a saucer as a guide.
- 19Wet the edges of the base pastry, and then gently press the tops into place; trim around the edges with a sharp knife.
- 20Brush the tops with combined egg-yolk and water.
- 21---Down To The Wire---.
- 22Bake the pies at 425°F for 5 minutes or until golden brown, and thenreduce the heat to 350°F and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 23---The Extra Pies---.
- 24Freeze unbaked pies individually.
- 25To cook, allow to thaw completely and bake as above.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowherd's Pies
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.2
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.6 mg
- Sodium 494.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: