Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This gluten free, dairy free, vinegar free recipe is one of my favorite to fix for any company and to have around during the work week. It has great, easy to find and healthy ingredients. Made in the crockpot. Can be ready for you to come home to (and smells incredible). Just pay attention to the canned/stewed tomatoes you pick up to make sure they are vinegar free. Also if you are concerned make sure there isn't any high fructose corn syrup in those canned tomatoes also. The more natural the better. This is great even with gluten free cornbread. Also, if you want to use frozen green beans get the steamer bag and steam them for a bit before you put them in the crock pot....they keep their flavor and color very well.
- 2 -3 lbs boneless beef steaks, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs red potatoes, roughly peeled and cut into bite sized pieces (or all-purpose potatoes)
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces (if desired, 2 cups)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- On a tray or piece of wax paper, toss the steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Allow to reach room temperature while you are cutting your other vegetables. Place in 5-quart electric slow cooker. Layer the onion, then the potatoes, carrots, celery, and green beans on top.
- In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes and tapioca and pour over the meat and vegetables. Cover the pot and cook on High for 5 to 6 hours or on Low for 9 to 10 hours or until the beef and vegetables are tender; stir once during the last hour of cooking.
Gave this recipe to noncooking husband to put together....It was amazing, there was none left, even my finicky 6 yr old loved it! It was so good and so easy it makes regular appearances on our menu calender!!!!!!