This is from The Complete Encyclopedia of Vegetables and Vegetarian Cooking by Roz Denny and Christine Ingram. The original title is cowboy hot pot, but I am making a few changes to lighten it up so I can't help but see it as a cowGIRL's healthy choice LOL.I made this with smoked cheddar instead of gouda, and ketchup instead of tomato paste as I was out. For a one-dish meal (and for true cowgirl style) make this in a large cast iron skillet (that's "eye-urn" for all you city slickers ;) )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, chopped (or sub 2 carrots)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (original calls for 3 T sunflower oil)
- 4 ounces green beans, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can corn (do NOT drain)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, cubed
- 16 ounces potatoes, thinly sliced (thin slices important for cooking time!)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (original calls for 2)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Fry the onion, pepper, and sweet potato gently in oil until softened but not browned (you could probably steam them as well and omit the oil altogether!).
- 3Add the green beans, baked beans, corn with liquid, tomato paste, and seasoned salt. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Transfer the vegetable mixture to a shallow ovenproof dish and scatter the cubed cheese on top.
- 5Cover the vegetable and cheese mixture with the sliced potatoes. Brush with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Bake 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked and golden brown on top.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowgirl Hot Pot
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.9
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 39.9 mg
- Sodium 655.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: