Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I created this recipe when it was cold outside a couple of years ago... wanted something sort of like chili, but with the comfort food feel of a roast. This is yummy and can easily be heated with jalepenos for adults or dialed down a bit for kids. My family loves this dish, and it's so easy to fill the crock pot and come home to great smells and flavors for dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoning (hamburger)
- 2 jalapenos, sliced (optional)
- 4 medium potatoes, sliced (optional)
- Combine garlic, onion, pepper, and ground beef in skillet. Sprinkle with seasoning mix while browning meat.
- Move ingredients to crock pot (set crock pot to medium).
- Add remaining ingredients to crock pot.
- Cook for five or more hours. Add salt and chili powder to taste.
Why hasn't anyone tried this before? And given it the 5 stars it deserves?! I did everything as directed, with the exception of the beans. I didn't have chili beans in the pantry, but did find Campbell's Bean & Bacon soup. Yummo! So great; thanks for sharing with us!