Recipe by LorenLou
A wonderful, different recipe originally from my mother-in-law, modified a bit by me.
Top Review by jill7903
This soup is SOOOOO good and definitely a favorite in our family!! All summer we have been saying that we can't wait until cooler weather so we can have the stew again and we are looking forward to it.
- 2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen mixed vegetables (we prefer something with green beans or broccoli, onions, and red peppers)
- 2 potatoes, peeled,cut in chunks
- 1 can great northern bean, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into 1/4" strips; then cut strips into 1" pieces.
- Combine beef, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and oil; toss to coat beef.
- Brown meat mixture in dutch oven, stirring 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, salsa, vegetable mixture and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- (I like to simmer longer).
- Stir in beans.
- Allow to heat 5-10 minutes, then stir in spinach.
- Serve whenever you're ready!