1/2 Photos of Cowboy Spaghetti With Cheese Sauce - Rachael Ray
I saw Rachael Ray make this on her show and I thought it looked delicious. I made it tonight and it was OUTSTANDING. The jalapenos definitely add a lot of spice to the cheese sauce, so if you have little ones you may want to remove some of the sauce and keep it separate for them before you add the peppers. The only change I made is that I added 2 cans of drained pinto beans. Rachael says this serves 4, but I think it serves 8 easily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 5 ounces ale beer, about 1/2 bottle
- 14 ounces crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt, then the pasta and cook spaghetti until al dente according to package directions.
- 2Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and bacon. Brown and crisp bacon, about 5 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve. Drain off a little excess fat if necessary but leave just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the sirloin and crumble it with a wooden spoon as it browns, 3-4 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, and season with salt, pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire, chili powder and cumin.
- 3Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Add the beer, cook for 1 minute more then add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring up to a bubble and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- 4While the meat sauce is cooking, make the cheese sauce: Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat and add butter. When the butter melts, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and then the milk. Thicken for 2 minutes then stir in the cheese and melt, for another 2 minutes. Stir in the jalapenos and scallions. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- 5Drain spaghetti, add to the meat sauce and combine.
- 6Pour into a large serving bowl and pour the cheddar cheese sauce over the top.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowboy Spaghetti With Cheese Sauce - Rachael Ray
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.1
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.7 mg
- Sodium 731.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 31.3 g