Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Chili Nation, Jane and Michael Stern
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatillos, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons green jalapeno powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pink beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons masa harina (dissloved in 1/2 cup warm water)
- 1⁄2 loaf garlic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven; add in garlic; cook until soft.
- Add in lamb; cook until browned; drain off excess fat.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatillos; add to the pot along with cumin, jalapeno powder, chili powder, cilantro, sugar, salt, lemon juice, parsley, and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil; cook at a slow boil for 30 minutes, partially covered.
- Add in beans; cook 10 minutes; add masa harina mixture; cook 7 minutes; remove from heat.
- This chili is on the soupy side even when bound with the masa harina.
- It is best served in soup bowls and topped with crusty cubes of garlic bread that can be used to sop up the good juices.