1/2 Photos of Cowboy Pie
Brit Bird's Note:
I found a recipe for "Cowboy Pie" in a recipe book ages ago, it was a really simple dish of baked beans, sausages and mash. My version has been a real work in progress and is a very satisfying comforting meal. Children always love it, and its a great way to get them eating a few veggies! PLease dont take the measurements as absolute, especially the bbq sauce, as there are so many different kinds, enough should be added to give it a zing! If you dont have mini/cocktail sausages, you can just use regular ones, I find it best to cook them whole first and then chop them up, as if you try to chop them and then cook them you end up with a gooey mess! You can really add whatever you like to this, although I do recommend the shredded cabbage as it gives it a nice crunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 swede, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup grated red leicester cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 400 g cocktail franks
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 6 drops maggi seasoning sauce
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can baked beans
- 1 (400 g) can kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons beef gravy granules
- 1Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- 2Put potato, sweet potato, and swede in saucepan of cold water, bring to boil and simmer till cooked. Once cooked drain and mash with the grated cheese, butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil in pan (I find a wok works best), and brown sausages.
- 4Add onions, pepper, garlic and cook till onions and peppers are going soft, dont let them burn as this will affect the taste.
- 5Add cabbage and give good stir and cook till cabbage just beginning to go slightly soft.
- 6Add all the remaining ingredients and give good stir.
- 7Heat till bubbling and then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5/10 mins, or till the cabbage is just beginning to wilt.
- 8Spoon the bean mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the potatoes mixture.
- 9Put in oven for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- 10Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowboy Pie
Serving Size: 1 (844 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 914.2
- Calories from Fat 381
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.0 mg
- Sodium 2383.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 35.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red leicester cheese
maggi seasoning sauce
beef gravy granules