Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I make this when my brother and sister come to visit me. They get it with cornbread and sasperella, if i told them what was in it they would turn their noses up but served like this it a "Cowboy dinner"
- 1 (220 g) package smoked tofu
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (420 g) can vegetarian baked beans
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mild chili sauce (1tsp chilli powder)
- 80 ml water
- 750 g any potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250 g frozen sweetcorn
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 25 g butter
- 75 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Boil potatoes until softened, drain and mash. Add remaining topping ingredients, except grated cheese.
- Meanwhile, drain tofu on kitchen paper and grate. Fry onion and tofu in oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, ketchup, chilli sauce and water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Place tofu mix in an ovenproof dish, top with potato and grated cheese, and bake in a pre–heated oven for 20 minutes (190oC, 375oF, Gas Mark 5).
- Serve with crusty bread and seasoned vegetables.
Made this last night and DH loved it! I used Morningstar Chik'n Strips instead of the smoked tofu. I didn't use any onion (I didn't feel like using another pan) I did omit the water also, I didn't need it. Thanks for the recipe!
I tried this for my kids. My DH & I love it. The kids aren't as crazy. I had to do some converting (I'm gram and ml illiterate) and found that the tofu was only 7 oz. I doubled tofu, beans, ketchup and chili powder. But ommitted water. Didn't need it. I kept the topping as is to cut fat. Used Feta, as was too lazy today to shred cheddar:) I think the recipe makes more like 6-8 servings this way. It would probably cut down on the sat. fat. I will definitely keep this recipe. Didn't miss the meat at all!