Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are soooo good! Do not be afraid of the jalapeno, they do not end up at all spicy. (in fact, I often add more then one!) You will never go back to boring mashed potatoes again! I got this recipe from allrecipes, and was shocked that it has not been posted here.
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, cut into chunks
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 12 ounces baby carrots
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white corn, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Place potatoes, carrots, jalapeno pepper and garlic cloves in a large pot. Cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook 15 to 20 mins or until potatoes are tender. Drain water from pot.
- Stir in butter. Mash this mixture using a potatoe masher until the butter is melted, and the potaotoes have reached the desired consisistency.
- Mix in cheese, corn, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, and ENJOY!
Updated: need stars - Pretty good!!!! Don't usually like cheese in my potatoes but there are so many other elements in it, don't really take it. Along with the garlic. I used like 8 or 9 bulbs. It does have a zip from the jalapeno. I took out the seeds so my daughter will eat it. I added a little milk so I could whip the potaotes. Don't like just mashed with chunks. Also some season salt. My husband is grilling pork chops tonight so I made this to go along as a side.
We have been making these for a few years now. I wish that everyone who passes over this recipe would try it just once! We adjust the ingredients by what we have on hand or just to our taste. Stirred in crumbled fried bacon, a little sour cream and the frozen mixed corn with peppers. Always add more garlic. Goes great with meatloaf or Oven Fried Pork Chops and Gravy from this site.
We were surprised at how much we liked these, especially when DD and I aren't huge fans of cooked carrots and corn. I used a whole head of garlic. Next time I will double both the jalapeno and the garlic to give them a little more zip. Served as a side to Jalapeno cheddar stuffed chicken.