Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
- 12 medium mushrooms, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 small red potatoes
- 3 slices smoked bacon, chopped (applewood- or hickory- smoked)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (pepper-jack cheese or smoked cheddar cheese)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 4 slices Texas toast thick bread (1 to 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 1 garlic clove, cracked from skin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Yellow Tomato Salsa
- 3 medium yellow tomatoes, seeded and chopped (or 2 large yellow tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt, to taste
- Make the hash: chop all vegetables; pierce potatoes with a fork and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes; remove potatoes from microwave and cool 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- While potatoes are cooking, add chopped bacon to a big skillet over med-high heat; brown until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain; wipe pan and return to heat.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Chop or wedge potatoes.
- Add olive oil to skillet you cooked the bacon in; then add potatoes.
- Cook potatoes until brown and crisp, 2 minutes on each side.
- Make the salsa: combine the salsa ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Back to the hash: add mushrooms to the potatoes; brown mushrooms 1 -2 minutes, then add the peppers and onions; add grill seasoning, then hot sauce.
- Cook until vegetables are just tender and potatoes are cooked through, 3-5 minutes longer.
- Turn off heat and add bacon back to pan; combine bacon with the vegetables then add the cheese to pan to evenly cover the mixture.
- Tent the skillet with foil to gently melt the cheese over vegetables and potatoes and to retain heat.
- Fry eggs: heat a nonstick griddle pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to warm pan and let it melt.
- Crack eggs onto griddle and fry to desired doneness (eggs may be cooked over easy or scrambled as well, as you like).
- Make the toast: place bread slices under broiler and toast 6 inches from heat on both sides.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a small cup with the clove of garlic and cayenne pepper; melt in microwave 30 seconds.
- Brush toast with butter mixture and sprinkle with parsley.
- Transfer vegetable/bacon hash to plates; top each portion with a single fried egg; serve with Texas toast and serve salsa on the side.