Recipe by COOKieCOOKer
Perfect for a barbeque, this scrumptious corn bread will leave your guests asking for more. Serve with steak, chicken, or anything else! This recipe has been floating around our town for a while, and it has been tweaked.
Top Review by Saturn
Wonderful! I over cooked mine and it was still wonderful! I think that 40 minutes was a bit too long for my oven though. I will make this again and try only 30 minutes. Despite it being over cooked, we ate it and enjoyed it. The texture is great! Soft and crumbly but not too grainy. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons Crisco
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg and milk and mix well.
- Heat shortening in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the batter and cook until the edges begin to turn golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.