The rub for this steak contains espresso and is really tasty. The recipe calls for one larger sirloin steak, but I made this with individual sirloin steaks from Kansas City Steaks, each 4 ounces. This was another gem from the Ellie Krieger show.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder (or other chili powder)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons espresso coffee, finely ground (not instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 lbs top sirloin steaks, about 1 1/4-inch thick (shoulder center steak aka a Ranch Steak)
For the Grilled Onions
- 1 large red onion, peeled, sliced into 1/3-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the Salad
- 1 red pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 English cucumber, seeded, finely diced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat it over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the rub and coat the steak well on both sides.
- Cook steak for about 7 minutes, turning once,then cooking another 7 minures for medium to medium-rare if using a whole piece of steak (or just cook until it is as rare or as cooked through as you prefer your steaks to be).
- For the Onions:.
- Brush the onion slices with oil and grill over medium heat, until the onions soften and get grill marks, about 6 minutes on each side.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Allow steak to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While steak & onions are cooking, prepare the salad: In a large bowl toss together the red pepper, cucumber, and tomato. Add the oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and toss to combine.
Perfection, I had to taste. But great flavor. It cooked on my smoker almost all day. Great tender, perfect flavor. Good! Saved recipe. Thx