I got this recipe from my Aunt - it tastes wonderful! Perfect with a fresh cup of coffee!
Make and share this Cowboy Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt& shortening- mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of crumbs.
- To remaining crumbs add baking powder, soda& spices- mix thoroughly.
- Add milk& eggs- mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased& floured 8x8x2" baking pans.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs, nuts& cinnamon to taste.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
Made this recipe this morning for Sunday breakfast. The only changes I made was to use Splenda brown sugar blend, and omitted the nuts (both due to DH's current dietary restrictions). Baked the cake in a 9x13 (instead of two 8x8's). This coffee cake is very easy & quick to put together and tasted delicious - especially warm from the oven. Thanks for posting! -M =)
A very delicious coffeecake. I too used butter instead of the shortening too. I used buttermilk in place of the soured milk and pecan were my nut choice. I also added 1/4 cup of the pecans to the batter. (I only make one cake) The finished cake had a lovely, not-too-sweet, "butter pecan" flavor. It is a new favorite here! Thanks for sharing.
I used a cup of plain fat-free yogurt to make this instead of the sour milk. Also, I substituted the shortening with butter. I like using walnuts in this cake. Its a great cake and a must try!