Recipe by Annacia
For a family pleasing dinner in cooler weather serve this yummy pot roast with mashed potatoes, your favorite veg and hot rolls.
Top Review by rpgaymer
This roast came out being pretty amazing- way better than I thought I was capable of making. The gravy was the star, for sure. Instead of mole sauce, I used adobo sauce and some cocoa powder. The coffee gives the gravy an unbelievably deep, meaty flavor. I added diced potatoes and carrots to the pot during the last hour of cooking for a complete one-pot meal.
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2.5 to 3-lbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, cut in wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup mole, sauce (bottled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from beef. Season beef on all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven brown beef on all sides in hot oil.
- Remove beef from Dutch oven and set aside.
- In same Dutch oven cook onions over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes or just until edges begin to brown.
- Stir in garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Place beef on onion mixture.
- Add coffee, tomatoes, and mole sauce.
- Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.