Recipe by Tisy Adams
Everyone should have a good chili recipe and here's mine!
Top Review by NanaD
Very good chili! Doubled the beans and the chile powder. Instead of hamburger, I had some not-so-tender sirloin so cut in 1 inch cubes then pulsed it in my food processor about 8 times...perfectly delicious! Served with Trader Joe's cornbread.
- 3⁄4 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) canchopped stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook ground beef, garlic and onion over medium heat, stirring until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Stir tomatoes with liquid, broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper into beef mixture.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add pinto beans and salt.
- Cook stirring, for 15 minutes longer.
- note: The flavor of the chili actually improves once the ingredients blend making this the perfect do-ahead meal.
- Refrigerate chili until ready to use, then reheat over low heat.