Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
There are a few cowboy caviar recipes on this site, but I didn't see this one. It is adapted from the March 1997 issue of Sunset magazine.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 avocados, firm-ripe
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 2⁄3 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb roma tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of (optional)
- tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, mix vinegar, hot sauce, oil, garlic, and pepper.
- Peel, pit, and cut avocado into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to vinegar mixture and mix gently to coat.
- Add black eyed peas, beans, corn, onions, cilantro, and tomatoes to avocado; mix gently to coat. Squeeze lime juice over the mixture, if desired.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve the mixture with chips as an appetizer.