Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my favorite fresh veggie chunky salsa/dip ever. In college my roommate's mother gave us this recipe from the Oklahoma newspaper and we haven't stopped making it since.
- 1 (11 ounce) can white shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 -3 roma tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 avocado
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic (minced, chopped, whatever)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Mix all veggies together in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and mix together well.
- If you can wait, give the mixture an hour or so for the flavors to really come out. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. But it's delicious to eat straight away too.
- Note: I rarely use the exact ingredient amounts. It's good to substitute black or red beans for the pinto beans or to use regular corn for shoepeg. I've used red wine vinegar in place of garlic red wine vinegar as well. You can even add hot sauce if you like spicy. I always double the recipe (but not necessarily the dressing) and eat on it for days. It's good in burritos, pitas, or on top salads, anything really. It's a very flexible recipe.
This is so delicious. I have made it twice now for parties. Every time I am asked for the recipe. It makes a lot. Works best with the "scooping type" tortilla chips.
This recipe is awesome! My husband hates avocado, beans, cilantro, and tomato (like, half of this recipe)... and he cannot stop eating it! I tripled the recipe and there is only one third left after a day. I forgot to buy red wine vinegar so I ended up using italian salad dressing instead of the oil/vinegar (very tasty!) - I omitted the garlic since it is in the dressing. And I also added chili powder as well as the cumin.
Excellent! I can't make enough of it for my family.