This is my favorite fresh veggie chunky salsa/dip ever. In college my roommate's mother gave us this recipe from the Oklahoma newspaper and we haven't stopped making it since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (11 ounce) can white shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 -3 roma tomatoes
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 avocado
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1Mix all dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- 2Mix all veggies together in a large bowl.
- 3Add dressing and mix together well.
- 4If you can wait, give the mixture an hour or so for the flavors to really come out. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. But it's delicious to eat straight away too.
- 5Note: I rarely use the exact ingredient amounts. It's good to substitute black or red beans for the pinto beans or to use regular corn for shoepeg. I've used red wine vinegar in place of garlic red wine vinegar as well. You can even add hot sauce if you like spicy. I always double the recipe (but not necessarily the dressing) and eat on it for days. It's good in burritos, pitas, or on top salads, anything really. It's a very flexible recipe.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cowboy Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.4
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 329.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 8.9 g