Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My hubby-to-be's FAVORITE dinner and once you try it you will love it too. Taco, cornbread, and cheese...what more do you need? If you want an authentic flavor, use a cast iron skillet. If you don't have a skillet substitute for a pan.
- 8 1⁄2 ounces Jiffy cornbread mix (1 box)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (can substitute for sausage)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1 bell pepper, diced (color of your choice)
- shredded cheese, 3 cups
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning (or chili)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Mix cornbread mix, 1 egg, and 1/3 cup of milk. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Let the mixture rest while you heat up your skillet. (If you don't have a skillet, let the batter rest for 3-4 minutes before baking.).
- Melt 3 tbs of butter in your skillet.
- Once your skillet is nice and hot pour the cornbread batter directly in your skillet. The batter should sizzle a little. Smooth the mixture.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for ten minutes. Cornbread should be baked, but not golden brown on top.
- While the bread bakes cook, saute your chopped onion and bell pepper in 2 tbs of butter until soft.
- Add ground beef, serano pepper, jalapeno pepper, and garlic to pan.
- Once ground beef is browned add you seasoning packet and about of 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until sauce has thickened.
- Pull cornbread out of oven. Pour meat mixture on top of your cornbread and then sprinkle cheese on top. Place back in oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve while hot and with a dollop of sour cream.