Recipe by Lise in Indiana
A cornbread crust is topped with spicy sausage and eggs for a quick breakfast casserole served with salsa and sour cream. A favorite at our early-morning Rotary breakfasts, especially the guys!
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Spray a 13"X9" pan with non-stick spray (Pam).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the DRY ingredients for the crust.
- In a 1-cup glass measure, combine the WET ingredients for the crust.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, all at once, and stir just until smooth.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake 10-13 minutes. until lightly golden-brown.
- Meanwhile, in a 10" skillet, cook the sausage, peppers and onions over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetable are tender.
- Drain sausage mixture and place in a bowl; cover with a plate to keep it warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs with seasonings and milk, mixing well.
- Wipe out the 10" skillet with a paper towel, return it to the heat and melt the butter in it.
- Pour in the egg mixture. As the eggs begin to cook, lift the cooked portions to allow uncooked egg to flow to the bottom of the skillet - avoid constant stirring.
- Cook 2 or 3 minutes, until eggs are thickened throughout, but still very moist.
- Arrange cooked eggs on top of hot crust and top with the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with the cheese.
- Return pan to the 400º oven for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- Cool slightly and serve with salsa and sour cream.