Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had my first taste of this while working as a volunteer at a local state park during a pioneer reenactment day. A gentleman was cooking it and handing out small samples. It was so good, I had to ask for the recipe. He told me - sausage, frozen hash browns, eggs and cheese, all cooked in one pot. I couldn't have asked for a simpler, more filling and delicious meal. I've wanted to post it for a while, but I wanted to make it for someone special first. It's also a good campfire recipe. Leftovers reheat well. I usually make this for my son and I, but I have made it for 6. We used 9 eggs and could easily have used the 11 available. All amounts are variable according to personal preferance.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage (may substitute lean ground pork or split half sausage, half lean ground pork if desired)
- 1 (25 ounce) packagecountry style frozen hash brown potatoes
- 6 eggs
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Brown meat in large pot over medium heat.
- Add frozen hash browns and stir occasionally, until potatoes are cooked (they will not turn brown).
- Break eggs into bowl and stir with fork to mix well.
- Add eggs to meat and hash brown mixture and stir until eggs are done. (Continuous stirring will also help keep everything from sticking to the bottom of the pot).
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the mixture if desired and stir in until it melts.
- Serve hot.
We like to eat this in tortillas with sour cream and salsa. I usually use a whole pkg of hash browns, and 2 eggs per person.
We went on vacation, and I thought I'd take a few recipes to try.I'm glad I took this one.I cooked this outdoors, over an open pit.This was really good and easy to make.I added salsa at the end. I'll use this recipe again. THANKS
My hubby was in charge of this the first time we had it. He drained the grease off the sausage, and it made the entire thing too dry. We melted some butter over it to make it edible. The potatoes browned up nicely, the way we liked them, though. The second time we did not drain the grease. I cooked my potatoes in the oven for just a few minutes to get them browned. That's just my personal preference. We loved this the second time and will make it more often.