Recipe by KAS in MN
This recipe comes from the public schools in my hometown. It was a favorite both at school and home. My own kids love it too.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
Oh yum! We all really enjoyed this wonderful pan bread. The crumb topping was a very nice tough, and I liked the ideas of enjoying the leftovers in the morning with a nice cup of hot chocolate. Thanks for sharing your recipe, KAS in MN. This is a keeper of a recipe that I know I'll make over and over again.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine shortening, flour, salt, and sugar.
- Mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup to sprinkle over batter.
- Combine leavening and spices and add to larger amount of crumbly mixture.
- Add eggs and buttermilk and mix well.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 inch oblong pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbly mixture and additional cinnamon.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 25-30 minutes.