This recipe comes from the public schools in my hometown. It was a favorite both at school and home. My own kids love it too.
- Combine shortening, flour, salt, and sugar.
- Mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup to sprinkle over batter.
- Combine leavening and spices and add to larger amount of crumbly mixture.
- Add eggs and buttermilk and mix well.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 inch oblong pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbly mixture and additional cinnamon.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 25-30 minutes.