This recipe comes from the public schools in my hometown. It was a favorite both at school and home. My own kids love it too.
- Combine shortening, flour, salt, and sugar.
- Mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup to sprinkle over batter.
- Combine leavening and spices and add to larger amount of crumbly mixture.
- Add eggs and buttermilk and mix well.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 inch oblong pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbly mixture and additional cinnamon.
- Bake in 375 degree oven 25-30 minutes.
Oh yum! We all really enjoyed this wonderful pan bread. The crumb topping was a very nice tough, and I liked the ideas of enjoying the leftovers in the morning with a nice cup of hot chocolate. Thanks for sharing your recipe, KAS in MN. This is a keeper of a recipe that I know I'll make over and over again.
We love this bread/cake because I bake it in a flat type cake pan. Always popular with our family but suggest you use at least 1/2 butter for better flavor and keeping qualities. Thanks for the submission - highly recommend.
A nice coffee cake recipe which is definitely better warmed with a cup of coffee. Warming it just brings out the flavors and keeps it a nice moist consistency. I also feel upping the nutmeg and cinnamon is a must. For me I used it also in the topping mix so the flavors spread throughout. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.