- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (I used black eye peas)
- 11 1⁄2 ounces tomato juice
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies (undrained)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook meat and onions in skillet, stirring to brown and crumble meat, drain off any grease.
- Combine meat mixture, rice water, chili powder, salt, beans, tomato juice & chili peppers; stir well.
- Pour in to a 3-quart casserole dish,.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Stir and cover and bake again for and additional 30 minutes, or until rice is tender.