Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Had this recipe since 1993 first time making it. Hubby really liked it! Not spicy at all, but for those that want more zing it would be easy to kick it up a notch or two!
- Cook meat and onions in skillet, stirring to brown and crumble meat, drain off any grease.
- Combine meat mixture, rice water, chili powder, salt, beans, tomato juice & chili peppers; stir well.
- Pour in to a 3-quart casserole dish,.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Stir and cover and bake again for and additional 30 minutes, or until rice is tender.
A hit in our house! I use parboiled brown rice to make it healthier and it tastes great.
Nice flavor. Not too spicy, next time I'll add more chili powder and maybe some jalapenos for heat. I used brown basmati rice and it didn't cook enough, even with extra time. I would pre-cook the rice beforehand. Overall, a great dish!
I really enjoy this meal with some thick cornbread. It is great. Today I realized I only had about 1/2-2/3 the amount of tomato juice that I needed. I just made up the rest with some spaghetti sauce I had in the refrigerator and it tastes great.