Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe from a neighbor of our when I was a little girl. She was a great cook and I remember her being thrilled to find out these did great in the newest kitchen appliance, the Crock Pot! There are several recipes close, but this is Thelma's.
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans butter beans, drained
- 1 (51 ounce) can pork and beans (juice and all)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried, crumbled
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground black pepper (your taste)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Mix all ingredients together. Place in crock-pot on high and cook for 2 hours, reduce heat and continue to cook for 2 more hours. Serve hot.
These are the best Cowboy Beans I have ever had. I had never eaten butter beans before this recipe and they are AMAZING! They give the recipe what sets it apart from the others.
Although I'm not usually a fan of butter (lima) beans, they worked well in this recipe, what with all the other flavors & textures going, & we were very happy sharing this bean dish at a potluck we attended! And although I thought we'd have a bit left to bring back home, they were all gone before then, which is a great testament to their comforting flavor! Many thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
This is an awesome recipe which I usually take to potluck. I add a can of green lima beans in addition to your list of ingredients. For those of you who haven't made this, all I can say is, You're missing out!.