Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a quick, easy vegetarian supper that I made up and usually rely on when I'm not in the mood for fancy. The beans are a flavor mix-up of chili and barbecue, with lots of cheese, all layered with tortillas and onions.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or 1 tablespoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 3 flour tortillas
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper
- paprika, to sprinkle on top
- garlic salt, to sprinkle on top
- In a medium saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add chili powder, oregano and cumin and briskly stir until spices give up some aroma, then stir in tomato sauce.
- Combine well.
- Add beans, tomatoes, Worcestershire Sauce and Liquid Smoke.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an 8x8 baking dish, place one flour tortilla.
- Spoon on 1/3 of the beans, then half of the sliced cheese, then half of the chopped green onions.
- Repeat; one more tortilla, more beans, then sliced cheese and onion.
- Top with the third tortilla, spoon on the last 1/3 of beans, then top with the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle top with paprika and garlic salt, cover with foil, and bake in preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, then bake another 10 minutes.
- (This can also be topped with black olives or chopped fresh cilantro).
- For non fish eaters use the vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.
- VEGETARIANS use only the vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.