Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
No bake chocolate oatmeal cookies.....yummy
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cocoa, milk and margarine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, peanut butter and oats.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- Allow cookies to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Store in an airtight container.
My grandma and grandad used to make these all the time and passed the recipe on to me - we call 'em Cow Duds! I even won a cookie contest once with these. My family now requests these for every Christmas and Thanksgiving gathering - I'm famous for my cow duds! I'll make 7 or 8 batches between now and New Year's! I find that whole butter sets up the duds better than margarine - they sometimes get too crumbly and set up too fast. Butter makes them good and fattening! Also, don't try this with brown sugar - they'll never set up at all!