Montana Heart Song's Note:
The Texans brought this to Montana on the cattle drives Most of the drovers were not kind They would run down kids, dogs for sport.My father and twin sister would jump behind rocks or into badger holes when they saw them. My father got this recipe from "cookie" on a grub wagon.Old coffee was used. Nothing was thrown away.Red eye kept everyone awake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Old Style:.
- 2Chop all the bacon and throw into large cast iron dutch oven.
- 3Throw in the flour. Mix with the grease and bacon.
- 4Add the coffee, stir and cook. Add more coffee if you have.
- 5Crush the peppers and add to the gravy.
- 6Serve with flat biscuits or griddle cakes.
- 7New Style:.
- 8Cook pork chops or ham slices remove from pan. (Alternate)Add ham base and cold water and stir without the pork.
- 9Add coffee to either the meat dripping and grease or the ham base with water.
- 10Wisk in the flour and add black pepper. Serve over mashed potatoes, grits, rice,.
- 11cornbread or biscuits. A simple no nonsense.
- 12recipe for down home folks.
- 13Servings given for New Style.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cow Camp Red Eye Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1554.9
- Calories from Fat 1097
- Total Fat 121.9 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 236.5 mg
- Sodium 2057.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 57.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: