1/1 Photo of Cow Camp Pan Bread (R Hanging Lazy A) Robert H. Arps
Montana Heart Song's Note:
While you are on the trail, you bring a baking mix with you, premixed to last the amount of days you are gone. All you have to add is the water. You fry in a cast iron pan with shortening or bacon grease. Oil is too hard to carry on horseback.You can make the mix X4 X6 X8.Store in air tight container or zip lock bags. Then just add water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.36 ml white flour
- 9.85 ml salt
- 29.57 ml baking powder
- 29.58 ml sugar or 29.58 ml Splenda sugar substitute
- 236.59 ml cornmeal
- 354.88 ml dry milk
- 4.92 ml savory salt
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 236.59 ml lukewarm water, for each batch
- 14.79 ml water, if necessary at a time
- 29.58 ml shortening or 29.58 ml bacon grease, for each batch
- 1You mix all of the dry ingredients together. Divide equally between two large ziplock bags. Now you have two batches.Take 1 tbsp mix and spread across a board.
- 2Pour lukewarm water in the zip lock bag, a little at a time.
- 3Close bag and knead, add a little more water, knead, add the rest of the water and knead.
- 4Turn out on board and pat or roll until about 1/4 inch high to 1/2 inch high.Pat some mix on top of dough if it gets too sticky or plain flour.
- 5Heat 2 tblsp. shortening or bacon grease in large cast iron frying pan over the heat, a grate over a campfire, a stove burner, or propane grill.
- 6You can plop the entire circle in the hot pan if you don't want to cut wedges before it is cooked. Make sure you don't burn it on the bottom. Remember this makes two batches.
- 7Cutting the wedges of dough first fries the wedges a little more and you have a more crispy texture on the sides and bottoms when flipped over.
- 8On the trail, you would sharpen a stick, cut the circle in 8 to 10 wedges. Off the trail, use a knife or dental floss. Lift off with a spatula, fry 4 to 5 wedges at a time and flip over until lightly brown.
- 9Note: Use 1/2 of each salt in the recipe if you want to use less salt or salt substitute.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cow Camp Pan Bread (R Hanging Lazy A) Robert H. Arps
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 1243.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 14.0 g