1/2 Photos of Cover Shot Apple Cider Pie
Found in Cooking Light Magazine Oct 1998. This pie is over the top good with such a great flavor and a light flaky crust. I really recommend making the pie crust from scratch but if that really frightens you then by all means use another form of pie crust that will fit a 9" pan with enough for a good ridge. I just have to finally post this recipe before my torn out copy gets ruined from overuse!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 7 -8 approx. 3 lbs baking apples (like Pink Lady, Winesap, Braeburn, Granny Smith apples)
- 1FOR CRUST: Combine 1/3 cup flour and 1/3 cup ice water; stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- 2Combine the other 1 1/3 cup flour and salt in a bowl then cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry blender (or 2 knives) until it is coarse small pieces.
- 3Add the ice water/flour mixture and toss with a fork until all is moist.
- 4Divide dough in half. Gently press each half into a 4 inch circle on 18" of plastic wrap and cover with more 18" plastic wrap.
- 5Roll one half of the dough (still covered with plastic wrap) into a 12 inch circle and then chill. Roll other half of dough (still covered) into an 11 inch circle and then chill.
- 6FOR APPLE FILLING: Bring apple cider to a boil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan over high heat. Cook until it is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes), stirring occasionally then cool completely.
- 7Combine cooled cider, 1/3 c sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- 8Cut each apple into quarters and then slice crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Stir apple slices into the cider mixture.
- 9PUTTING PIE TOGETHER: Preheat oven to 450F and lightly spray your pie plate with nonstick spray.
- 10Remove the 12 inch dough circle from wrap and place into a 9" pie plate allowing the dough to overextend the plate.
- 11Spoon apple mixture into crust.
- 12Brush 1 tsp (or less - whatever is needed) of water lightly over the edges of the crust showing.
- 13Remove the 11 inch dough circle from wrap and place on top of the apple mixture. Press edges of dough together and fold edges under and then flute edges.
- 14Cut about 6 slits across top of dough (about 1 inch in length).
- 15Combine egg and 1 tbs of water and then brush this on top and along edges of pie. Then sprinkle with the 1 tbs of sugar.
- 16Place pie on a baking sheet (this is to protect from overflow into your oven) and bake at 450 for 15 minutes.
- 17REDUCE temperature to 350F (do not remove the pie just adjust the temperature) and bake an additional 45 minutes or until golden brown. You may want to check your pie edges around the 30 minute mark and if browning too fast, cover with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil.
- 18Cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cover Shot Apple Cider Pie
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 173.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 21.4 g
- Protein 3.6 g