Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A variation of basic dal from Hyderabad, India.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 1 mango, green
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 pinch black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 -6 dried red chilies
- 1 sprig coriander (cilantro)
- 1 onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a saucepan, put 2 tsbp sunflower oil, mustard, cumin, red chilies, and onion.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until onions are a golden-brown.
- Wash the lentils and add the tomatoes with all the other spices, red chillies and coriander.
- Skin and seed the mango and cut to pieces and drop it into the base made.
- Add sufficient water according to thickness required.
- Put it in the pressure cooker for 8-10 min on low heat.