Recipe by Member #610488
This is a vegan take on Cousin Cosmo's Greek Chicken by ElizabethKnicely for the ZWT 9 - Make Mine Vegan. I had a hard time finding an acceptable vegan chicken substitute so I gave up and used eggplant instead. This is a dish with some of the same flavors but even better.
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices (medium to large, about 18-20 slices)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, break crumbs
- 2 cups loosely packed torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) container feta, crumbles (HeidiHo Veganics)
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- olive oil (use remainder of olive oil marinade topped up with additional olive oil to make 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whirl together the lemon juice, oregano leaves and cilantro leaves in a food processor with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. On a dinner plate, pour out the panko bread crumbs.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the eggplant slices together with the herb oil so they are all equally coated. Take each slice, drain off excess oil and coat with panko bread crumbs, like you bread chicken pieces. Set aside oil when done to use when making sauce.
- Spread out on a flat baking pan. Roast for 10-12 minutes, until the eggplant softens and begins to crisp in the oven.
- While the eggplant is baking, add spinach and tomato to medium frying pan. Add sauce ingredients to leftover olive oil marinade and whisk together with a fork until completely incorporated. Adjust the amount of vegetable broth to achieve your desired consistency.
- Slowly add to the frying pan. Cover, turn heat on medium-low, and simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When eggplant is done, plate each serving with one slice, portion out approximately 3/4 oz feta crumbles on top, place another eggplant slice over the crumbles and cover with heated sauce, spinach and tomatoes. Serve immediately.