Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
This is a favorite chicken recipe, my son requests it every year for his birthday.
Top Review by Member #610488
This is a wonderful dish! I would consider it the greek version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. The only thing I would change is to pump up the sauce a bit more. The chicken bouillon cube and water is more of a flavoring agent of the spinach and tomatoes and is kind of thin. I would add a little flour and make this a proper sauce (roux). I made this vegan as Recipe #504389 for ZWT 9 Soup - A - Stars!!!
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crumbled
- 2 cups loosely packed torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- On a large plate, combine 1 tablespoon flour, salt, and pepper. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine cheese, lemon juice, and oregano. Set aside.
- With a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast to 1/2 inch thickness. Spread cheese mixture on each chicken breast, leaving 1/2 inch border. Fold chicken breasts in half; secure each with toothpick. Coat chicken breasts with flour mixture.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until golden. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups water, chicken bouillon cube, and remaining flour; pour over chicken breasts in pan. Add spinach and tomato to skillet, and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Discard toothpicks before serving.